By Lucia Fontaina Powell
Looking for the best natural skincare for menopause can be tricky. So we’ve put together a tailored skincare routine using Dr Jackson’s products, especially for menopausal or perimenopausal skin.
The hormonal fluctuations that affect women during menopause can have a number of effects on the skin, from dry and discoloured patches to a resurgence of acne and pimples that you thought you’d left behind in adolescence.
While there are plenty of resources and products out there that target menopausal skin, the advice is often to use synthetic ingredients and harsh chemicals. If you’re someone who’s made the choice to use natural skincare up until now, it can be frustrating to have to sacrifice those values—on top of the many other frustrations of menopause.
Luckily, nature has provided an abundance of ingredients that can work magic on the skin. At Dr Jackson’s, this forms the backbone of our award-winning products, which harness the properties of science- and tradition-backed natural ingredients to care for your skin.
All of our products are clean, safe and, most importantly, effective. Drawing on over 30 years of scientific research into natural medicines derived from plants and their traditional uses, we use ethically and sustainably sourced ingredients that work for all genders, skin types and age groups—including menopause.
Here’s how you can use Dr Jackson’s products to care for your skin naturally, and effectively, during menopause.
Choosing a moisturiser for menopause
During menopause, your skin’s collagen production drops significantly, leading to thinning, dryness and more visible signs of aging (wrinkles, fine lines and sagging). When choosing a moisturiser for this stage of your life, it’s important to look for intensely nourishing ingredients.
Our 01 Day Cream nourishes, rejuvenates and hydrates, using:
- Kigelia fruit extract to encourage regeneration and promote elasticity, visibly tighten the skin and deliver a glowing complexion
- Baobab seed oil, high in fatty acids and packed with antioxidants to reduce the look of fine lines and protect skin from environmental pollutants
- Marula seed oil and shea kernel butter to hydrate, retexturise and rejuvenate the skin’s surface for a softer, more youthful appearance
The 01 Day Cream is also available with SPF 30 UVA/UVB coverage—essential for menopausal skin, which is more prone to sun spots and more at risk of skin cancer.
Our 01 Day Cream is designed to act as a rich moisturiser that feels featherlight on the skin and doesn’t block pores (which are enlarged as collagen levels fall during menopause). For nighttime, we’ve developed a more intensely nourishing cream work on the skin while you sleep.
Our 02 Night Cream hydrates, smooths and softens, using kigelia fruit extract and baobab seed oil, with added:
- Frankincense resin oil to calm, soothe and strengthen thinning and sensitive menopausal skin, as well as offering antimicrobial properties to treat breakouts
- Mango seed butter to soothe and hydrate dry skin, also with potent antioxidants to protect skin that’s more vulnerable to pollutants
Natural remedies for menopausal acne
Around 25% of women between 40 and 49 experience hormonal acne (American Academy of Dermatology Association), which can be a symptom of menopause. So if you thoughts spots and pimples were reserved for teenagers, think again.
We know that acne can be really hard to cope with, both physically and emotionally. To help keep breakouts at bay, we recommend looking for skincare products with naturally antimicrobial ingredients, like the frankincense resin oil used in our 02 Night Cream above.
On top of this, our 03 Everyday Oil has been clinically proven to work for acne prone skin. It’s a common misconception that oils make acne worse, but when formulated with the right ingredients, the opposite is true.
Our 03 Everyday Oil moisturises, calms and rejuvenates, using marula seed and baobab seed oil, along with:
- Calendula flower extract with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties to soothe the skin and reduce redness.
- Arnica flower extract to help heal and restore troubled skin, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties
Use as a daily serum alongside your moisturiser, or as needed.
Treating hyperpigmentation, discolouration and flushed skin in menopause
One of the main signs of aging skin is sun spots or dark patches caused by sun exposure. As we get older, the sun burns or tans our skin has seen throughout our life starts to become more visible, leading to hyperpigmentation or discolouration. It’s common to see this start during menopause.
As we mentioned above, one of the best preventative ways you can care for menopausal skin is by wearing SPF every day. You can also find natural skincare products to reduce the appearance of pigmentation.
Our super-ingredients, kigelia fruit extract and baobab seed oil, are used throughout Dr Jackson’s products and have traditionally been prized for their complexion-evening properties (in Africa, communities have used them to treat scars and stretch marks for centuries).
We also recommend our 05 Face and Eye Essence to treat uneven skin tone and turn down the heat. Starring baobab seed oil, known for its firming and rejuvenating properties, it also has:
- Vitamin-rich aloe leaf juice to cool and calm the skin, and prevent premature signs of aging
- Damask rose flower water to restore and tone the skin
- Chamomile flower oil, containing lipophilic compounds with anti-inflammatory properties, to neutralise irritations and soothe sensitive skin
The best face wash for menopausal skin
A lot of the ingredients used in soaps and cleansers are too harsh for mature skin, which is prone to thinning, increased sensitivity and dryness in menopause. This can strip skin of essential natural moisture or exacerbate conditions like acne or redness.
Our 07 Face Wash is a gentle and sulphate-free wash that cleanses and hydrates skin, while also offering oil control.
- Lemon peel oil to stimulate, refresh and clarify the skin
- Mandarin orange peel to refine and purify the complexion, while also providing moisturising benefits
- Antioxidant-rich pomegranate fruit extract to protect the skin against environmental damage and act as a gentle exfoliant
- Chamomile flower oil, known for its softening and anti-inflammatory properties
We hope this guide helps you understand some of the effects of menopause on the skin, and see that you don’t have to give up clean, safe and natural products when you hit menopause.Explore the full range of Dr Jackson’s natural skincare here, where you can shop by area of concern to create your personal skincare routine for menopausal skin.